Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Workshop Wednesday-Persuasive Writing Mentor Text

Happy Wednesday everyone!Since it is Wednesday, it is time to link up with Ideas by Jivey for Workshop Wednesday. This is the last one for the summer, so be sure to head over there and check it out!

  This week's topic is Persuasive Writing. How do you teach persuasive writing? What are your favorite mentor texts to share when teaching persuasive writing?


When I first introduce persuasive writing I read my students the book Hey Little Ant. I love this book because it ends having the kid make a choice, should the boy save, or step on the ant. Once I have read the story to the class, we read some "ant facts" together. They then pick a side and write a letter to the kid sharing what they think he should do.

Once they have done that first piece, I like to share some other pesuasive books with them. Some of my favorites are:
A little boy thinks there is a monster in his home, he tries to persuade the monster to eat her brother, not him.
Little boy Alex, writes letters back and forth to his parents about why he needs a new room.

Alex writes letters to his parents about why he should be able to have a pet iguana.
Next, I like to give the kids a chance to write a persuasive letter to a real person. They need to pick a topic they care about; getting a cell phone, extending recess time, sitting by a friend, getting a pet etc. Then students can choose to write letters to me, the principal, their parents etc. (We talk about the importance of audience in persuasive writing.) I find they write a much better letter when they have a true audience.

When students write letters to me, if it is at all possible, I try to "grant" them what they are asking for (even if it is only a day.) If I am unable to do it, I do talk to them and explain why. I want them to feel that they were heard, since they took the time to write a letter to me.

How do you teach persuasive writing to your students? What are your favorite mentor texts to use for your persuasive unit?

10 comments:

  1. That's really sweet that you try to grant them what they ask for!! Love all those books too (great minds)! Thanks for linking up!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing these great texts. I need to get a copy of I Wanna New Room to add to our collection. I saw Hey, Little Ant over at Ideas by Jivey, too--was wondering if this would be appropriate for second grade as well?

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Little Ant would be totally appropriate for 2nd grade. I have no doubt your kids would love it too.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of "My Brother Dan's Delicious." That sounds super cute! Thanks fo sharing!

    -Amanda
    Tea cher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a cute book. I met the author last year, great man who is a teacher too.

      Delete
  4. Cute suggestions Bethany. :) Have a great rest of your week! :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the new book suggestion, I had never heard of My Brother Dan's Delicious. Love finding new books.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could share a new one with you! I love finding new books too.

      Delete
  6. That's so nice of you to grant their wish! You're like a Fairy God Mother! :O) I need to check out I Wanna New Room!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these books! I use all of them within my unit! I love My Brother Dan's Delicious and have had them brainstorm the same scenario! I have them write letters to someone, too, and I've had parents mention it to me because one of mine got a puppy and the other ended up with a cell phone (in 3rd grade!) because their letters were so persuasive!! It was so fun! I also did a letter of why they should sit next to their BFF in class...that was interesting!!

    Love it!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete